Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 1997 14:54:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   make compatability

I believe the BSD make to be a wonderful thing.  Unfortunately,
it's also very different.  We have a fairly large code project we want
to compile on FreeBSD, but it has literally hundreds of makefiles that
have been being used on SysVr4.

The tutorial documentation for make shipped with the system refers to
two compatability mode switches (-B and -M).  The first one causes each
command associated with a target to be run in its own shell.  The second
one says, "This is the flag that provides absolute, complete, full
compatibility with Make."  Sounds like what I want.

However, the make man page doesn't list that option and the code
doesn't support it.

I installed the gmake-3.75 package.  When I tried to use it, it
complained about not finding /usr/local/bin/gname.  Is that a ports
issue?  Does the package have a dependency I missed?

What do we do for a SysVish make?

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)              Brother, can you paradigm?
602-953-1392  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com  crl22@aol.com