Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 2009 10:06:48 +0100
From:      Brendan Kennedy <brendan.kennedy@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 7.1 mbuf_cluster memory leak

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with a crypto driver and netipsec/racoon. At high
data rates (1Gig of traffic, 64bit packets) we seem to be leaking
'mbuf_cluster's. These are allocated/freed by either netipsec I think.
At low data rates, 'mbuf_cluster's are not used, so we don't have this
problem. I just have a few questions around this issue:

1) What is the difference between mbuf and mbuf_packet?
1) Why am I getting mbuf_cluster memory being used when the packets
are so small?
2) Is netipsec grouping the 64bit IP packets into a single ipsec packet?
3) Should my crypto driver be dealing with the mbuf_cluster any
differently than a linked list of data (e.g. should a digest be added
at the bottom of each fragment)?

Regards,
Brendan