Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:49:32 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Dallas De Atley <deatley@apple.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: __P macro question

> You mean like when I compile "grep" and other command line tools
> on my Amiga using Manx Aztec C, a K&R compiler?

The utter obsolescence of your Amiga aside (heck, I gave my A2500 away
many years ago), I think I've already made the point that there are
other sources for grep for these sorts of exercises in retrocomputing.
FreeBSD is not trying to be everything to everyone - we have other
*BSDs which fill other niches and other code bases (the historical USL
stuff already mentioned) which fill needs like this.

> Really, if someone can't understand __P(), they should probably
> not be in the kernel, with all those "dangerous" linker sets
> and other less obvious code than __P()...

That's a total Red Herring.  It was never stated that people "couldn't
understand" __P() - we're talking about code clutter and asthetic
appeal, something I'd expect an Amiga owner to understand. :)

> Can you get BSDI, NetBSD, and OpenBSD to go along with this?

BSD/OS is frankly of no concern, being another tiny niche player (see
comments about the Amiga again), but I'll bet there would be less
resistance from the {Net,Open}BSD camps than you think.  Even the
NetBSD/amiga port uses gcc.

- Jordan