Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:42 -0800
From:      Jim Mock <jim@lust.geekhouse.net>
To:        Mike Batchelor <smujohnson@home.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape / Linux

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 at 23:52:23 -0800, Mike Batchelor wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Anyways, I was wondering about FreeBSD's Linux emulation capabilities.

It's not really emulation.  It's binary compatibility.

> I used to use FreeBSD until I found out that new releases of various
> applications (ie Netscape, Snes9x) favoured Linux and Windows over all
> the other OS's, and plus the fact that I couldn't get Netscape working
> on FreeBSD rel4.1.1.  I went to Linux Slackware and was sadly
> dissapointed because of it's "incompleteness" compared to FreeBSD.

What was the problem you had with Netscape?

> Now I'm wondering, can I run Linux applications on FreeBSD such as X
> applications?  I guess I'd like to get the latest version of Netscape
> running on FreeBSD, as well as a Linux version of Snes9x (if possible)

Why do you need the Linux version of snes9x?  Use the port.  Ditto with
Netscape (the Linux version of Netscape tends to be more stable, at
least for me, and works with stuff like the flash plugin).

For Netscape:	Choose one of the Netscape ports in /usr/ports/www.

For snes9x:	cd /usr/ports/emulators/snes9x && make install distclean

- jim

--
jim mock <jim@jmock.com>        work: jim@osd.bsdi.com | jim@FreeBSD.org
http://soupnazi.org/              BSDi Open Source Div | http://bsdi.com