Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 02:28:53 +0000
From:      "W.H.Scholten" <"whs"@xs4all.nl>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: uncool MO disk problems

L.S.

Update on previous mail a while back. I tried the latest sym driver from
the CVS tree (into fbsd 3.3) but little has changed (haven't checked
what happens with 640MB 2048 b/s disks yet):

> 4. Formatting ufs on fbsd:
> newfs hangs (unkillable).

This now works.

> 3. ufs disk formatted on obsd:
> I cannot use da0a but mounting da0 (with -t ufs) works.
> After I change the disklabel's '16 partitions:' to '8 partitions:' I can
> mount da0a (and read/write) but unmounting fails (umount -> unkillable
> process).

No change (also goes for a disk formatted under fbsd).

Here's what happens after I mount the disk, and have written something
to it, then try to unmount:

ps axl for the umount process shows: cdwait D+

When I now halt the machine:
after a short while:
        syncing disks... done
then after about 3 minutes I get into DDB:
        page fault while in kernel mode
<snip>

        kernel: type 12 trap, code=0
        stopped at ffs_sync+0x1f   movl 0xc(%esi),%esi

a vm/vfs problem?

Second situation: mounting a write protected disk (RW, but the OS should
change that itself to a read only mount if the disk is write protected,
which it does recognize at mount time).
unmounting failed, at reboot the machine tried it some more, gave up
said:
        giving up: rebooting
which it did; unfortunately, it didn't unmount the file systems which
could be unmounted so started checking the ffs partitions next time I
booted fbsd.

As apart from Gerard's response there were no reactions of anyone with
similar problems nor of people using MO drives without problems, can I
assume everyone using MO drives nuked fbsd and uses something else now?

Or does anyone use MO drives with 4.0 or 4.1 without the problems I
mentioned (in this and my previous mail) ?

Btw, I compiled the kernel with DDB now so if there's any use for it I
can give the trace information etc.

Wouter

PS. CC responses to my mail address please.