Date:      Mon, 03 Nov 1997 09:28:30 -0500
From:      Jeffrey Anuszczyk <jeffa@novera.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about shared library loading under 2.2.2

Hi All,
   I've been trying to get the UMich. LDAP server located in
ports/net/ldap over the weekend.  I took the shortcut and installed
the ldap-3.3 package on the 2.2.2 CD-ROM.  However when I tried
to build the database I was getting core dumps.  It took me a
while, but I finally tracked it down to /usr/lib/libc.so.3.0
failing to be loaded for ldif2id2children.  This causes any
reference to a symbol in libc to SEGV (i.e., memset(), strtok(),
etc.).

   To confirm this I rebuilt the images using -static and all
is well.  To doubly confirm I turned on the environment variable
for ld.so that tells it to list all shared libraries it will
be loading and then exit.  For all images it reported it would
load "-lc.3.0 -> /usr/lib/libc.so.3.0" (forgive me but I'm
doing the exact text from memory here).  However when I explicitly
run ldif2id2children it reports no shared libraries being loaded.

   Hmmm, I'm puzzled as to what's up.  I rebuilt the images the
"normal" way (make clean; make ; make install).  nm reports all
is well but this image seems to have no reference to libc even
though it needs to.

   FYI: I have linux emulation enabled (for jdk1.1.3 support).

Any thoughts on why this is happening?  What I can check?  I've
worked around this by making the images static.  But I only have
24MB on this system so I'd rather use the shared libraries.

Thoughts, hints, suggestions most welcome!

- Jeff