Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 18:18:02 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/ too big?

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 10:38:24PM -0600, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> > As for tools ...

> And just how much history do you keep?  How much trouble is it going to
> be to get the whole history?  Keep a library of CDROMs on my shelf?

Perhaps :-) When the "whole" tree won't fit on a single CD, you'll have that
anyway.
The answer to your question is "enough" for the majority of the users.

In the case of ports, I think that you will find that most of the "history" is
almost worthless in say 6 months. (By that I mean something that was removed or
replaced 6 months ago) Usually it references tarballs that are no longer
available and cannot be used in its present form. That is also more than enough
time for those who need to see the transient history to resolve an immediate
problem. It is also more than enough to handle the lookback period over which
CVSup can optimize its work. People who don't update that often will likely
have so much wrong (out of date) that you might as well start over on that file.

As for the "whole history", I would dump it to CD each time until the size
becomes unreasonable.

> Can you give examples of any other development effort under a VC/CM
> system that prunes history and old revisions?

It was certainly common practice 20 years ago. Even in modern times, most
people start a clean slate periodically. They don't keep Windows 2000 in the
same tree with DOS 2.0 although I am sure that I would be able to establish an
unbroken line of common code.

> Since no one else is rallying behind you, it seems maybe this is your
> myopic issue.
Quite likely because this arena is too obscure and cluttered with (to them)
extraneous material.  Of course, YOU object to it being discussed in forums
where they are more likely to congregate.

> > Right now, the prevailing attitude is "I've got mine, to hell with the
> > rest" and "NIH rules"
>
> Right now we are keeping our repository the way most people that use
> VC/CM systems expect it to be.

And "most people" use MS Windows!
That doesn't prove insight;
just herd mentality.