Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2012 18:10:07 GMT
From:      Richard Conto <richard.conto@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/147881: [zfs] [patch] ZFS &quot; sharenfs&quot; doesn&#39; t allow different &quot; exports&quot; options for different hosts

The following reply was made to PR kern/147881; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Richard Conto <richard.conto@gmail.com>
To: Martin Matuska <mm@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: Richard Conto <Richard.Conto@gmail.com>,
 bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 14:05:39 -0400

 On Sep 6, 2012, at 9:36 AM, Martin Matuska wrote:

 > The purpose of the sharenfs property is not to completely replace
 > /etc/exports.
 > What we have is just a tricky workaround that populates =
 /etc/zfs/exports.
 > he commands to NFS-share filesystems on illumos are different and our
 > options are mostly incompatible with illumos.
 > So you e.g. sharenfs=3D"-maproot=3Droot" is invalid if imported on a
 > Openindiana system.
 >=20
 > Have you considered using just /etc/exports for more-complex =
 configurations?

 Yes. It doesn't scale - and scaling is the whole purpose of NFS.  It =
 also makes it difficult for distributed management of access rights to =
 end-user NFS exports.

 I wouldn't mind using a FreeBSD specific attribute to populate =
 /etc/zfs/exports with FreeBSD specific values such as is used for =
 swapping to ZFS.  Merging the two different attributes would either be =
 tricky, or the use of the FreeBSD one should cause "sharenfs" to be =
 ignored entirely.