Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 1995 06:09:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Dyson <dyson>
To:        peter@jhome.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        winter@jurai.net, kato@eclogite.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is the Linux emulator not working for you?

> Oh, incidently, I glanced inside the Linux kernel while working on QMAGIC
> library support..  It makes reference to "Converting ZMAGIC binaries" if
> the file start offset is too small.
>
> I got the impression that it would be possible to convert the 1K file
> offset in the Linux ZMAGIC stuff to (say) 4K file offset start so that we
> can do proper demand paging to files rather than reading them into swap
> immediately...
>
> Then again, I should know better than to say things like this before
> checking them out...
>
> -Peter

I have been evaluating the possibility of the VM system properly supporting ill
constructed a.out formats (like those with 1K offset) and it would not
be too hard.  It would break coherency -- but would add maybe 25-50
lines of code (very simple.)  Since it is bad (not allowed) to modify a running
binary anyway, the cost (in functionality) is low.  I definitely plan
to add it for 2.2.  But if someone has a better (easier) solution -- PLEASE
go for it!!!

John
dyson@freebsd.org