Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 13:17:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        hetzels@westbend.net (Scot W. Hetzel)
Cc:        FreeBSD-Current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP Problem

Scot W. Hetzel said:
> On June 6, my SMP system locked up, and I received the following when it
> activated the debugger:
>
> mb_look = 00000002; cpuid =0; lapic.id =00000000
> instruction pointer                = 0x8:0xf012bc26
> stack pointer                       = 0x10:0xf68c5ea4
> frame pointer                      = 0x10:0xf68c5ee4
> code segment                     = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                                          = DPL 0, pres 1, def 321, gran 1
> processor eflags                 = interrupts enabled, IOPL =0
> current process                   = 8856 (nntpcached)
> interrupt mask                     = <-SMP:XXX
> kernel: type 29 trap, code =0
> stopped at _soreceive +0x6c2:     movl 0(%ebx),%eax

There is a problem in the SMP code.  It is fragile, and there are
still timing dependencies.  The bugs that I have been working on
are like an onion, I keep getting more and more after peeling
it...  In the future, I am going to ask people to remember (if
they can) how to hose their systems.  It looks like that my
recent patch sets only cover up other problems (often making
them worse.)

I think that I am going to go back to the "drawing board" on this
thing.