Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 2021 19:54:59 -0800
From:      Rob Wing <rob.fx907@gmail.com>
To:        Bill Wear <wowear@gmail.com>
Cc:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>,  "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Austin Shafer <amshafer64@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: How to start contributing

in my limited experience..

it=E2=80=99s nice to work on what interests you, but to some degree you als=
o have
to work on things that committers find of interest and/or find value in -
since ultimately these are the folks that will be bringing your changes in.

While the list linked above may be good start, I=E2=80=99m not sure how up =
to date
is.

user submitted bug fixes are always welcome, but even some of those have a
tendency to slip through the cracks and sit for awhile before a committer
gets around to bringing them in.

if you submit patches and haven=E2=80=99t received any feedback, don=E2=80=
=99t be afraid to
ping developers on the patches that you=E2=80=99ve posted for review.

also, get an account on phabricator (reviews.freebsd.org) and post your
code up for review there.

just my two cents

-Rob