Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2012 11:22:42 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   top not restoring terminal echo/icanon correctly

(Please keep me CC'd as I'm not subscribed to the list)

I'd like to request that folks running RELENG_8 (and RELENG_9, though I
do not use it) please check the behaviour of their terminal after each
of following commands are run (check terminal after each command):

top -a  (press "q" after 1 screen refresh)
top -b

If you find that your input characters in your shell aren't being echo'd
back after one of the above commands, blindly type "stty icanon echo"
and hit <Enter> and things should be back to normal.

What I'm looking for is confirmation from others of the problem.

Also very important: please provide uname -a output, specifically world
rebuild date.  It greatly matters, because a commit was recently done
where now -b functions fine (was previously busted in this way), but now
-a behaves like -b did.  So src/world date matters.

All of this is documented in PR 161739.  I urge anyone experiencing this
problem to read that PR in full, as I spent many hours today writing a
debug routine to confirm that top is sometimes not calling tcsetattr()
with the original terminal parameters when it exits, and what the
condition seems to be.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/161739

Finally, if anyone want to tackle the problem (work out the logic bug
that is in there which causes it), please be my guest.  I have other
things going on right now (doctors appointments) so I don't have as much
time as I'd like.

Thanks everyone.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                 jdc@parodius.com |