Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 1995 14:25:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Hardware problems

On Fri, 4 Aug 1995, Michael Smith wrote:

> -Vince- stands accused of saying:

> > > All disks have bad sectors; it's just that some deal with them better than
> > > others.  In your case, simply writing to the sector may be enough to
> > > convince the drive to reallocate it, certainly few drives would
> > > automatically reallocate on reads by default.
> >
> > 	I read the man pages but how do I use bad144 and badsect exactly?
>
> Well, firstly, make a backup.  Then, in single-user mode (for paranoia's
> sake) say :
>
> # bad144 -s -v /dev/rwd0s1c  (or whichever slice you're unsing).

	Tried that before I mailed you and it didn't work, sad bad super slice
record or something.

> (If you read the manual page, you will know that this scans the entire
> disk for bad sectors)

	Yep...

> If you can't follow the badsect manual page then I feel really sorry for
> you, it's the nicest piece of handholding I've ever seen in a sysadmin
> manual page.  I can't vouch for the command _working_ of course 8)

	I can follow the manpage but it's that the command just isn't
working at all 8(

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
UCLA Physics/Electrical Engineering - UC Berkeley Fall '95
SysAdmin bigbang.HIP.Berkeley.EDU - Running FreeBSD, Real UN*X for Free!
Chabot Observatory & Science Center