Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2006 18:41:52 +0300
From:      Dmitriy Kirhlarov <dimma@higis.ru>
To:        freebsd-python@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   python ports management

Hi, list

We are trying to update the TurboGear port to 1.0b1.

For experiments I use non-system-default environment (auto-created by
devel/porttools for me).

1. TurboGear 1.0b1 have different list of dependecies (it's not a big
problem)

2. ... and I have to update some other ports and make several new
(it's not a big problem, too)

The problem is:

3. Some dependencies -- RuleDispatch for example have patchset and
revision versions, OS release and architecture in their egg names. I
think it's a bad idea -- supporting port with so unstable plist-name.

4. ... I try to use
python setup.py install --single-version-externally-manage.
It works, but fetches and installs all dependencies for RuleDispatch.
This is bad because it bypasses the ports system.

5. ... I try to use
python setup.py easy_install --no-deps.
It works too, but installs egg with these crazy file names.

6. ... and I see no way for installing single version without
dependencies (can't bealive) using easy_install

7. After reading some examples from ports tree I find that people
patch setup.py to make it use distutils instead of easy_install. I
think it's not the best way.

Could somebody recommend me more proper way of using setuptools with
the ports system?

WBR
Dmitriy