Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 00:45:32 +0100
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Fwd: NSF Trusted Computing program]

Hi guys,

maybe this is of interest for some in the FreeBSD community. Contract
value is $4-6m.

--
Andre

[Forwarded from RISKS DIGEST 21.72]
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 14:56:01 -0400
From: "Landwehr, Carl E." <clandweh@nsf.gov>
Subject: NSF Trusted Computing program

  [Carl Landwehr, erstwhile security guru at the U.S. Naval Research Lab
and
  more recently at Mitretek, is now on a one-year leave at the National
  Science Foundation, as Director of the Trusted Computing program.  NSF
is
  a good source of funding, and this procurement should be of interest
  many RISKS readers.  As always, I recommend that we focus on
developing
  TRUSTWORTHY systems, not just UNTRUSTWORTHY systems that have to be
  TRUSTED because we have no alternative.  PGN]

The initial announcement for the new Trusted Computing program is at:
  http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2001/nsf01160/nsf01160.html

The deadline for proposals is 5 Dec 2001; if you are in a position to
conduct research in this area, I encourage you to consider submitting a
proposal. NSF focuses on funding research at universities and
not-for-profit
organizations. I also hope you will consider helping me staff the review
panels for the proposals that are submitted.

My new contact information is provided below; please use this e-mail
address
for future correspondence.

Carl E. Landwehr, Program Director, Trusted Computing, CISE/CCR, Suite
1175
National Science Foundation, 4201 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, VA 22230
e-mail: clandweh@nsf.gov  phone: 703-292-8936  fax: 703-292-9059