Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:55:43 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Odd Rule in rc.firewall6

I was wondering if anyone here could explain this to me:

  ############
  # Only in rare cases do you want to change these rules
  #
  ${fw6cmd} add 100 pass all from any to any via lo0
  #
  # ND
  #
  # DAD
  ${fw6cmd} add pass ipv6-icmp from ff02::/16 to ::
  ${fw6cmd} add pass ipv6-icmp from :: to ff02::/16

I don't understand that first IPV6-ICMP rule. RFC2373 says,

2.5.2 The Unspecified Address

   The address 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 is called the unspecified address.

   The unspecified address must not be used as the destination address
   of IPv6 packets or in IPv6 Routing Headers.

That rule sure looks like it is explicitly passing invalid
traffic. Unless someone can enlighten my ignorance here, I'm going to
nuke that rule.