Date:      Thu, 2 Apr 1998 16:32:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Robert G. Brown" <rgb@phy.duke.edu>
To:        Attila Karpati <karpati@cs.elte.hu>
Cc:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG, linux-smp@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject:   Re: 2.1.91 SMP and aic7xxx

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Attila Karpati wrote:

> The machine has 4 PCI slots full with 3 ethernet (tulip) cards and a VGA card.
> The controller is an onboard one. Do you think it would help to rearrange the
>
> cards in this situation? How did you rearrange your cards?

I don't think it could hurt, since it worked for me.  How to best
arrange your cards probably depends on your motherboard/bios
combination.  I learned that on a supermicro P6DLS, the onboard aic7881U
shares an interrupt with PCI slot 4 (the one next to the AGP slot).  I
also learned empirically that either the bios or OS automatically force
the Matrox Millenium II (PCI) card to share an interrupt with the
aic7xxx regardless of its slot location (don't ask me why, this is
empirical).  It makes sense, then, to put it in slot 4 rather than
sharing the interrupt 3 ways with the adaptec, the MMII, and a tulip.

The combination that I had that wouldn't work had (as I recall) the MMII
in slot 2 and the tulip in slot 1.  Nearly anything else I tried worked,
and I ended up with the MMII in 1 and the tulip in 3, mostly because I'm
too tired of rebooting to shutdown and move the MMII to slot 4 when I
have slots to burn.  Be sure that your BIOS isn't reserving any of the
interrupts for specific slots -- leave the BIOS free to negotiate and
assign IRQ's on its own.

Wish I could answer your other questions, but this solution is black
magic to me as it is...

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@phy.duke.edu