Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 22:00:22 +1100 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X11R6.3 in 2.2 ?

>As David Dawes wrote:
>
>> The stock R6.3 release should compile pretty much "out of the box" on
>> FreeBSD 2.1.6 and later anyway.  R6.3 includes the XFree86 3.2
>> servers (except for a few minor things).
>
>However, i think we better use an official XFree86 release (3.2 in
>this case) for our release.  This eases support questions.  Of course,

Agreed.

>something like the xload fix would be preferrable... and i also see
>that XFree86 3.2 is useless for KOI8-R users.  Any chance of a 3.2-u1
>version? :)

I doubt there'll be any update releases from XFree86, just the betas.
Our time is already overcommitted on other things.

If someone builds a fixed xload, I'll put it on ftp.xfree86.org.  Same
goes for updated xterm/xdm (and whatever else uses utmp) binaries for
current.

As to the KOI8-R problem, it's still not clear to me if it is fully
resolved, or how dependent the fix for it is on the R6.3 version of Xlib.
None of this is tied to XFree86-specific code though, and when fixed
an updated copy of libX11.so.6.1 will be required (the version numbering
of this library is unchanged in R6.3).

David