Date:      Sun, 07 Dec 1997 16:44:56 -0500
From:      John Robert LoVerso <john@loverso.southborough.ma.us>
To:        "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-afs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new AFS list

> it is on hold until I get legal approval from Transarc, no
> point porting if no one will ever be able to use it.)

I doubt you'll get permission to distribute the sources to anyone without
an AFS source license.  You might be able to distribute binaries, although
I'm almost certain they didn't even give that permission to the Linux port.

Either way, an AFS port is still useful.  There are many organizations
that have AFS source licenses that would like to have it work on FreeBSD.

I'll also note that the cache manager bug I'm talking about was most clearly
with FreeBSD's VM (and or the port of AFS to it).  The same AFS 3.3 sources
run on Linux and NetBSD without problems.  We've used similar 3.3 sources
on OSF/1 systems (for x86 here at OSF, not to be confused with what is now
Digital UNIX) for years.

John LoVerso
The Open Group (formerly OSF) Research Institute