Date:      Tue, 7 Feb 1995 10:43:42 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@ernie.altona.ppp.net (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: sup: Ok, I'm gonna do it.

>From the keyboard of J Wunsch:

> The potentially biggest problem are people with CGA's or EGA's.

It's astonishing how many MDA/Hercules boards are still in use, and some
people even would not change to VGA because of the speed of these.

I've never heard of people using EGA/CGA boards and actually i have never
tested pcvt with a CGA board because i simply could not find one anymore.

The issue is not the price of the hardware. It's just why should someone
throw away a working MDA/Hercules/CGA/EGA board/monitor and buy something
new (and contribute to pollution and hills of waste) if it does what it
should do ?

A good install program should be easy and intuitive to use and it must
run on any hardware. If this program (reliably) detects it's running
on a VGA and switches to some GUI, good - but have support for 25x80
screens in the same program!

Focus on the ease of use, not on fancy colours - that's hard enough!

My 0.02 whatever currency,
hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis             hm@altona.ppp.net                Hamburg, Europe