Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:45:04 -0700
From:      Peter Losher <Peter_Losher@isc.org>
To:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Traffic stats for 5.1-RELEASE yesterday? (and a rant)

So from a mildly curious perspective on my part, what were the traffic=20
impacts from yesterday's 5.1-RELEASE event on (at least the Tier-1 mirrors)?

=46rom our end we reached a sustained peak of ~150-170MB/sec for just over=
=20
three hours mid-day yesterday (Pacific) before slowly tapering off (Mmmm, /=
=2E=20
effect) Hope everyone involved loved slurping their ISO's :)

BTW, we replaced the GigE card on the system from a Netgear to a Intel Sund=
ay=20
night.  Worked like a charm.

One thing that's been bothering me ever since I started looking at the xfer=
=20
logs (always a bad idea) ;)  is seeing the number of mirror sites that slur=
p=20
from us because... well, because we are ftp.freebsd.org.  I see site after=
=20
site banging away at us with mirror software from across the oceans (and=20
some big sites back on the US East Coast) where I know network wise, they=20
have other Tier-1 mirrors closer than to us (or to beastie.tdk.net))  So, I=
=20
am tempted to add this to my "too many users" message.

=2D=3D-
Also, for all mirrors not mirroring directly from the master
repository - Please choose a different host to mirror from.  Look
at the URL provided above, and note that all Tier 1 mirrors have
exactly the same access to the master repository as ftp.FreeBSD.org.
There is no reason to stress trans-continental (or trans-oceanic)
links just to say that you sync up with ftp.FreeBSD.org, when you
might have a Tier 1 mirror located right next door that has the
same access to the master repository and likely has a faster
transfer rate to you.

It's for your own good - really ;-)
=2D=3D-

Not that I suspect those automated mirror scripts will read/care, but it=20
makes me feel better... :)

=2DPeter
=2D-=20
Peter_Losher@isc.org | ISC | OpenPGP 0xE8048D08 | "The bits must flow"