Date:      Sat, 22 Nov 2008 13:06:01 +0100
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, Nerius Landys <nlandys@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: named and ntpd start order in rc.d

On Saturday 22 November 2008 01:47:50 Nerius Landys wrote:

> Trying to reproduce problem.  On a running system. I shut down named.  Then
> I restart ntpd, then I start named.  I can reproduce the problem that
> happens on bootup - ntpd has 2 processes and does not adjust the clock.
> Restarting ntpd while named is running fixes the problem
>
> I believe that the fix for this is to add a dependency to /etc/rc.d/ntpd
> script, adding "named" to "REQUIRE" section in comments.  In your opinion,
> is this a robust fix?  For example the line in my /etc/rc.d/ntpd script
> that looks like so:
>
> # REQUIRE: DAEMON ntpdate cleanvar devfs
>
> would be changed to this:
>
> # REQUIRE: DAEMON ntpdate cleanvar devfs named

Thanks! It seems that's what been going wrong ever since 6.3 or so on my
machine as well.
You can report it using send-pr(1), however - you will have to test what
happens if you comment out named_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf, then
update /etc/resolv.conf to use your ISP's DNS servers and reboot. If ntpd
does not start at all then ("because you told it it requires named"), then
it's not the proper fix.
However, I believe REQUIRE is only used for ordering the scripts, not actually
disabling one if a service in the REQUIRE line isn't started.

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.