Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 20:16:45 -0700
From:      Guy Harris <gharris@flashcom.net>
To:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        Guy Harris <guy@netapp.com>, Guy Harris <gharris@flashcom.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfs v2

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 10:47:24AM +0300, Danny Braniss wrote:
> basicaly, if i understand your explanation, i will always have problems
> with mknod and v2/v3.

Yes, mknod done with V3 will, unless your server treats special file
major/minor device numbers the way FreeBSD does, probably create a
special file that FreeBSD won't see as having the right major/minor
device number.

> so i see only one solution: only use v3 for nfs-root clients, correct?

That's probably the only solution that's guaranteed to work; given that
FreeBSD's minor device number isn't stored in the lower N bits of the
dev_t, I could see a V3 server, when it constructs a dev_t from the
major and minor sent over the wire in a V3 MKNOD, overlapping bits from
the major and minor device, causing information to be lost.

Just in case there are servers that don't do V3, however, I'd try V3
and, if the server rejects the V3 request with PROG_MISMATCH, try V2
(and do a similar fallback with mount).