Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 13:52:47 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xquake + sound??

>  Has anyone managed to get xquake with sound to work with guspnp15?

YES! Both xquake and xf86quake work fine with it. (YAY!)

But I have a few tales to tell. :-) Firstly, my configuration:

  Cyrix 6x86L running at 150mh (6x86L/200+)
  S3 Trio64V+ (for quake, configured with a 300x200 modeline)
  3.0-current (as of today)
  SB16 Pnp, A220 I5 D1 H7 P330 T6, aka:
	sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
	SoundBlaster 16 4.13> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 1
	sbxvi0 at ? drq 7 on isa
	SoundBlaster 16 4.13>  dma 7
	sbmidi0 at 0x300 on isa
	SoundBlaster MPU-401> at 0x300
	opl0 at 0x388 on isa
	Yamaha OPL3 FM> at 0x388
  Xfree86 3.3
  Linux emulation compiled into the kernel (not module)

First, to get the kernel compile I had to cp soundcard.h to
sys/i386/include.
Otherwise, compilation falls over in linux_ioctl.h which doesn't see the
new sound ioctls.

Now, I just changed motherboards (yet again, 5 in two weeks isn't too
bad, eh?) to one that actually works reliably with a IBM/Cyrix 6x86L at
this speed. Previously, I had a VXPro chipset motherboard(s) with the
Award PNP BIOS extensions. I had no idea what the original SB configuration
dropped out at via the BIOS, but under DOS, Linux, FreeBSD and OS/2 I had
to reconfigure the thing anyway since it would not work without it at the
default settings, and not having Win95 at all I didn't even know what they
were, but they were NOT as above. For Linux, I used isapnptools, and for
FreeBSD I used Sujal's pnp patches.

Now, with this new motherboard, Sujal's pnp driver no longer worked. :-(
I have no idea what it was doing, but after running it - and it seemed
to work correctly by identifying the card and saying it was configured -
the sb and all associated devices just "disappeared". Anyway, after
figuring out with a DOS help program the default settings were actually
the same as what I wanted anyway, I removed the PnP driver and suddenly
the sound driver configured correctly.

Go figure. I tried to investigate why this was happening (after numerous
reboots and fiddling with parameters etc, dropping back to the default
-current kernel to try to figure out the problem), I couldn't.
Initially, I thought perhaps the system was just too fast, and some
delays were required between inb() and outb() statements [well, it worked
a few years ago on AT's :-)], but after making some adjustments and
recompiling, still no go. Either the driver isn't doing something
"right", that worked previously, or this motherboard has a problem.
I don't *think* it is the latter, since the driver configures with
AND without isapnptools under Linux, and works fine under DOS with
and without Creative's CTCM pnp configuration tool.

BTW, in spite of what the README.GUSPNP said, I did *NOT* have to
define BROKENSB to get xquake/xf86quake to work. Either that, or it
is already defined somewhere in the source code. :-) I didn't investiate,
but I tried it first with a default compilation, and only realised later
that I had forgotten to do that. xquake/xf86quake work ok, except that
now (unlike before when I ran it without sound), they won't exit
correctly and require a kill from another session (telnet, since c-a-Fkey
don't work while quake is running). This doesn't happen under Linux, so
it may be sound driver related (Linux kernel 2.0.47, if anyone is
interested).

Only one problem remains in playing x86quake, and this happens under
Linux XFeee86 too, so it isn't related to the OS or sound drivers - the
mouse keeps on creeping upwards during play. It doesn't happen in Linux
squake, nor DOS quake, so that rules out mouse, hardware and serial driver
problems. It seems to be XFree86 specific. Perhaps I need to reconfigure
it somehow, but I'm at a loss as to exactly how. The mouse (actually, any
mouse I try has the same problem) works in mousesystems mode, and I tried
having XFree use moused/sysmouse and direct to port, but it makes no
difference.

Any fellow quake players out there who use the mouse? Sorry, but I just
can't play it any other way... keyboard players suck in multiplayer
quake, not being able to turn and hook (in ctf games) fast enough. :-)

Also, does anyone have any idea what it would take to get svgalib ported
and working under FreeBSD? Yeah, I realise the library is a real mess in
many respects, but it is pretty much a standard for console-based games
for i386 UNIX and clones. Having conversed with him a couple of times,
I'm reasonably sure that Dive Kirsch could be convinced to compile a
FreeBSD native version of squake, or even running the Linux version would
be cool too. :) I gather we need a few hooks in syscons.

Regards,
David