Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:15:25 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   STABLE vs. RELENG

Jason seems to have missed out on the discussion of the security fix
branch, RELENG_X_Y.  We really need to update the handbook to indicate
that STABLE is only relatively stable.  It is a DEVELOPMENT branch,
intended to be more stable than CURRENT, but still prone to instability
just as all development projects are.

Also, there are a lot of people making good and interesting
suggestions.  I think my comments about upgrading hardware should really
be taken seriously.  If you intend to try to do a source upgrade from
one major release to another you really need up to date hardware or a
lot of experience solving hardware/software conflicts.  Binary upgrade
is the easiest way to go between versions, but the horror stories people
have told of prove that it is not foolproof.  Perhaps the only safe way
to go is to have multiple machines on a local network.  Do a fresh
install on one, copy the user files over to the new machine and destroy
the old machine (or erase the disks or install a new OS...)

I think that the FreeBSD project is close to a situation where we can
encourage people to operate in "sourceless" mode, at least as far as
world/kernel goes.  The ports tree already has tools to allow selective
fetch and build.  The world/kernel area now has binary package updates
for security fixes (in world at least) and with kld and sysctl we can
probably just ship a useful GENERIC configuration with the instructions
on how to load the sound drivers or whatever else you need.

This has actually been a better discussion than I at first feared it
would be.  At least it's not the usual RC/BETA issue...

/Joe