Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 08:54:35 +0930 (CST)
From:      Duncan Sayers <duncan@apdata.com.au>
To:        Bsd Newbie <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: samba connectivity problems...

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Bsd Newbie wrote:

> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 07:28:49 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Bsd Newbie <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
> To: DrTebi <drtebi@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: samba connectivity problems...
>

> You all rule... I don't think I could expect a quicker reply.
>
> I thought inetd was always running by default... how would I have checked
> to see if it was running?  This is the output I get after typing 'ps waux
> | grep inetd'
>
> root     197  0.0  0.1  1060  832  ??  Is    9:31AM   0:00.06 inetd -wW
>
> I uncommented the 3 samba entries... and did this ps waux... deal... I
> don't know exactly what this does... but I thought it re-ran inetd?

"ps waux" tells you what processes are running, it doesn't run them. The
command you used above pipes the output of ps waux through "grep inetd",
to only display lines that contain "inetd". Try running "ps waux" by
itself to see the difference (as an aside "ps ax" generally gives enough
info without filling your screen with crap).

Now that you have commented the samba entries out of inetd.conf, you need
to reload the config using "kill -HUP inetd"

Then start smbd and nmbd with the following as DrTebi suggested below:

/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd

If you like try your new found knowledge of ps (type in "man ps" for
further info) to check to see if smbd and nmbd are running.

Also try "man smb.conf" to get furthur info regarding the samba
configuration file.

Also while you are at it have a look at "man ps" and "man grep".

Duncan Sayers
Applied Data Control  http://www.apdata.com.au
Ph: (08) 8338 2511    Mob: 0402 321 526