Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 1999 21:08:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        francois.baudens@icam.fr (Bouh)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: problem with my cdrom drive

Bouh wrote,
> hello
> this is my configuration :
>
> primary master : 6.4 GB hdd with linux, win 98 and win NT
> primary slave : 13.5 GB hdd with freebsd and data
> secondary master : cdrom drive
> secondary slave : none

OK, but IIRC, you might get better performace off of those two drives
if they are on different controllers.

> i had to change my configuration for the install because when i was booting
> on the cdrom with these settings, the install program said me that it
> couldn't detect any cdrom drive. So i change to
> p master : cdrom
> p slave: 13.5 Gb hdd
> s master : none
> s slave : none

Hmmm... Shoulda seen it in the other configuration this is all one
problem.

> and it worked
> but now i need the 6.4 Gb hdd as the primary master to boot with lilo and
> acces to linux, win98 and NT, and freebsd of course. So first i put cdrom on
> secondary slave - it didn't work

Which is fine. A slave with no master violates the protocol even if
some other OSes let it by.

> - and then as secondary master but it still
> don't work.
>
> Thanx a lot ...could you help me ?

Does your secondary IDE controller get detected during boot? Is there
a line like,

wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa

During boot and in the dmesg output?