Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 1995 11:14:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        jake@ibmPCUG.CO.UK
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Waiting for SCSI devices to settle?

> Hello,
>
> Firstly I have just installed FreeBSD, and it was a breeze. Great!
>
> Now, I have already moved onto the 2.1.0-Development, (the second feb snapshot)
> soley because of our SCSI controller.
>
> Hardware in use:
>
> Intel P90 with 32MB RAM
> 522MB IDE boot disk with PCI 32-data path
> D-Link 220 Ethernet Card ISA
> Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI card
> 2.1GB SCSI-2 disk
>
> There seems to be an intermittent problem on boot-up.
>
> A high proportion of boots, say, 4 out of 5, result in the
> system hanging after it finds the pci hardware and scsi controller, and says
> "Waiting for SCSI devices to settle"  after 5 secs or so the
> Adaptec controller light stays permanently on, which I am told is a bad sign.
> The system hangs like that indefinitely, (well I waited 30 mins anyway:-).

I need to know the exact type of disk.  If it is a Quantum Empire 2100, some
folks have said that the newer revs of these disks can only handle 8MB/s
syncronous transfers.  Can you try lowering the maximum syncronous negotiation
value in the SCSI-Select screen?

> Yet, sometimes, it boots ok and there is only a 2-3 sec gap after the Waiting
> For message; the drive is found as sd0 and the splendour of FreeBSD awaits
> usage.

It should be a full 15 second wait.

> What could this be down to?  Remote reboots are a distinct possibilty :-)
> and having to repeatedly power-cycle the machine for a "good" boot is
> not something that we can do remotely yet.
>
> As an aside we want to use this machine as a USENET machine running INN,
> anyone with any experience of this?  I know the port exists but anyone
> using it in anger?
>
> I could not get the 1st Feb Snapshot to work at all with the scsi disk.

So you are running current from when???  There were some fixes to this
driver as late as the Feb 10 snapshot.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1