Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 1996 23:42:11 +0100 (MET)
From:      Gunther Hipper <gunther@informatik.uni-rostock.de>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Cc:        gunther@ceylon.informatik.uni-rostock.de
Subject:   Panic(cpu#0): Nobody wants to mount my root for me

Hi again !

Okay, from the start. My Config is a GA586DX, SCSI on board but EIDE disk.
In the beginning, FreeBSD 2.2-961014 installed. A first cvsup of smp-src
had some problems running, but the SMP-kernel came up to a login.
Now i did the following:

1) I ftped to ftp.de.freebsd.org and got the /pub/FreeBSD/2.2-ALPHA/src/*
   Then i made the install.sh and got a nice /usr/src.
2) Made world - everything ok
3) cvsup the smp-src from cvsup.freebsd.org
4) made the "smp_active = mp_ncpus;"
5) First try:
	options SMP
   and omitting the rest, reboot and result:
   Panic(cpu#0): Nobody wants to mount my root for me

6) Second try:
	options SMP
	options NCPU=2
	options NBUS=2
	options NAPIC=1
	options NINTR=21
	options APIC_IO
   and result:
   Panic(cpu#0): Nobody wants to mount my root for me

7) Third try:
	options SMP
	#options NCPU=2
	#options NBUS=2
	options NAPIC=1
	#options NINTR=21
	options APIC_IO
   and result:
   Panic(cpu#0): Nobody wants to mount my root for me

8) Silly idea. Switched back to
	options SMP
   and omitting the rest. But this time, i tried to keep out:
	#controller pci0
	#device     de0
   my (inoperational
	#options PCI
   reboot and result as above....

9) Final Countdown:
	same conf as 8)
   but now - boot from msdos-formatted floppy... :-)
   Maybe you're laughing right now :-(

The ufs-filesystem is okay, FreeBSD 2.2-961014 boots and compiles
the SMP-Kernel just fine....

Does anyone of you boot from an EIDE-drive (disklabel says ESDI) ?
At this point, i've obly two ideas left:
a)  to get out some old SCSI-Drive, repeat the procedure and see what happens.
b)  try to get /pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/* from somewhere.
c)  try to play in smptests.h ?
d)  The EIDE disk operates in BIOS-Mode LBA. Switch this to LARGE or NORMAL ?
    The last could be crazy because there are other partitions....

What would you suggest to do ?

Thanks

Gunther