Date:      Thu, 08 Mar 2007 23:18:21 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org, anderson@freebsd.org, etc@fluffles.net, ivoras@fer.hr
Subject:   Re: Some Unix benchmarks for those who are interesed

On 03/08/07 01:58, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Eric Anderson wrote:
>  > On 03/07/07 23:13, Fluffles wrote:
>  > > The low Per Char results would lead me to believe it's a very slow CPU;
>  > > maybe VIA C3 or some old pentium? Modern systems should get 100MB/s+ in
>  > > per-char bonnie benchmark, even a Sempron 2600+ 1.6GHz 128KB cache which
>  > > costs about $39.
>  >
>  > Before making speculative claims about slow CPU's and putting the VIA C3
>  > in with that pile, please at least refer to what makes you believe that
>  > it is an issue.  Comparing the VIA C3 to 'some old pentium' isn't
>  > exactly fair or accurate, and inferring it isn't a modern system isn't
>  > true either.
>
> I agree that a C3 can be modern (depending on its age).
> However, it is indeed rather slow.  I happen to have a
> C3 1 GHz as my private router, firewall and file server.
> For that purpose it is completely sufficient, and I
> prefer it over anything like a Sempron for the low power
> consumption.
>
> But its raw processor performance is on the same level
> as an old Pentium with about half the clock rate, i.e.
> something like a Pentium2 500 MHz in my case (I also
> happen to have a Celeron-466 so it's easy to make the
> comparison).  For that reason I prefer not to compile
> anything on it, but rather do that on a faster machine
> and then copy things over.  My intel Centrino notebook
> is at least five times faster than that C3.

I'm making no claim they are as fast as a Core 2 Duo, or anything of the
like.  But a P2-500?  That's not realistic for most applications, but
maybe for a particular benchmark or two it might be.  Just look on the
net for the countless benchmarks, and you'll see it usually is about in
line with the same age and MHz Celeron processor.

Eric