Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 1995 15:16:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Don Whiteside <freelist@elf.kendall.mdcc.edu>
To:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 will require a minimum of 8MB for installation.

On Sun, 1 Oct 1995, dennis wrote:

> >On Sat, 30 Sep 1995, dennis wrote:
> >>
> >> NO!!!!!!!! NFS is the best and fastest way to load semi-custom systems.
> >
> >    I agree, but if we have to choose, I'd lose NFS first too.  How
> >many first-time users (those who will be baffled the most by the 8-meg
> >requirement) have access to an NFS server with the FreeBSD distribution
> >ready of installation?
>
> Great Idea! Lets lose the established users who are pushing for the O/S to
> support the idiots. Let's eliminate those that are building systems based on
> FreeBSD in hopes of luring the occasional one-time user.  This is a great
> business decision.

Is your response module broke and stuck on "volume: full, mode: rant"??

I just don't understand, Dennis. You get pissed off at the 4 meg limit
and rant about how apparently this is akin to setting your wallet on
fire. You scream about NFS because this is the best way to load custom
systems. Now you've been mortally offended because someone has suggested
that the default install kernel be kindest to the people who are unable
to choose other options.

Other options that you obviously have. If you need to build systems, make
a kernel that includes the proper drivers and disseminate it. As Jordan
responded to an earlier message, you've got the source too, baby. You've
got the ability to make a custom kernel, Joe UnixUserWannabe _doesn't_.

And in fact, my understanding was that appealing to the widest possible
customer base _is_ a great business decision. Why you think the FreeBSD
team should make kernels that appease a single person is beyond me.