Date:      Sun, 27 Mar 2022 21:13:48 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: config / NOTES "profile 2" and main -> stable/13 fails universe for me?

On Sun, Mar 27, 2022 at 2:01 PM Bjoern A. Zeeb
<bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am building on a stable/13 machine (updated a few days ago but I had
> that before in the last months).
>
> I have git clone and am mostly working on main or main-derived
> branches.
>
> Once in a while I switch in-place (not a worktree) to a stable branch,
> e.g., git checkout stable/13 based on freebsd/stable/13 for MFCs.
>
> When I do that and start to build an amd64-only universe my kernel
> builds immediately fail with a dubious error message from a top-level
> Makefile:
>
> # nice make -s -j30 tinderbox TARGETS=amd64 [..]
>
> make[2]: ".../freebsd-src/Makefile" line 731: "Target architecture for amd64/conf/LINT unknown.  config(8) likely too old."
>
> I tracked it down to the profile 2 line sys/amd64/conf/NOTES which makes
> config fail apparently.
>
> When I apply the below change things work flawlessly.
>
> I do not fully understand where the problem comes from, but given I
> haven't seen other reports I wonder what it is that I am doing that
> makes things go wrong here?
>
> Anyone an idea?

Whoops, we ripped 'profile' support out of config(8) so now it can't
config older kernels. I think the cheapest/easiest fix would be to
just re-add the keyword as a nop so we can still parse it, maybe emit
a warning that it's been removed in newer config(8).