Date:      Sat, 20 May 2000 13:56:37 +0100
From:      "Paul Moore" <gustav@morpheus.demon.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Booting FreeBSD from floppy (ie, without a bootloader on the hard disk)

Hi,
I'm a total newbie to FreeBSD - I've used Linux before, and I thought I'd
check out the "opposition" :-)

As I'm just trying things out, I wanted to install FreeBSD onto my second
hard disk, leaving my existing setup on hard disk 1 totally untouched.
Specifically, I don't at this stage want to change the existing (NT)
bootloader on the main disk.

I have installed FreeBSD on my second disk, and selected the option for no
bootloader. This worked fine, but I now seem to have no way of getting into
FreeBSD. I assume that I need to create a boot floppy which will start
FreeBSD off the hard disk. There was no option I could see in the install
process to do this (I used the "novice" install type), and I can find
nothing on the subject in the manual.

Can anyone give me a step-by-step explanation of what I need to do? (As I
say, I'm not new to Unix, but I have no experience with FreeBSD).

Further down the line, I'd like to add FreeBSD as an option to my NT
bootloader (I do not want to switch bootloaders, even if the FreeBSD one is
better...). To do this, I should only need a suitable MBR image which I can
store in a file on the NT boot drive, and I can then change NT's BOOT.INI to
add FreeBSD. For later reference, can anyone tell me how I get a FreeBSD
MBR? (On Linux, I install the Linux MBR on the Linux disk instead of the
boot disk, and then peel it off using dd - is there an option to do this
with FreeBSD?)

Thanks for any help,
Paul Moore.

PS In case I didn't make it clear, my key requirement is to make no change
at all to my existing NT disk - I want to isolate all my FreeBSD work to the
second disk (at least for now).