Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 01:34:55 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Structuring the Developer Handbook

[ -doc, -hackers, FU set to -doc ]

Recent discussion on -doc has bought forth the suggestion that the
Handbook could usefully be split in to a number of smaller books.
Rough consensus is that chunks of the existing Handbook should form parts
of a new "FreeBSD Developer Handbook", to cover information useful to
FreeBSD developers (and developers using FreeBSD).  Specifically, the sort
of people who inhabit -hackers.

http://people.freebsd.org/~nik/developer-handbook/index.html (or /book.html
if you want one big file) shows a very early cut at how the Developer
Handbook might be structured.  It includes some content culled from the
current Handbook.

What I'd like is feedback on this structure (which is flexible and open
to change) from the developers, along with suggestions for extra material
that should be included.  I'm sufficiently removed from the development
code face to be totally unsure about the best way to organise topics from
a developer's point of view.

Any and all suggestions welcome.