Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 1997 02:00:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        freebsd-ports
Subject:   Re: ports/4626: inn port, active file contains control characters

The following reply was made to PR ports/4626; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To: Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 09:43:59 +0200

 On Fri, Sep 26, 1997 at 12:57:29AM +0200, Ollivier Robert wrote:
 > According to andreas@FreeBSD.ORG:
 > > 	run actsyncd on a regular basis... So the active file gets rewritten
 > > 	completely.
 > > 	1 18 * * * /usr/local/news/bin/actsyncd /usr/local/news/lib/actsync.cfg
 > >
 > > 	Possibly it's related to MMAP ?! Didn't rebuild inn without MMAP
 >
 > Do it. We (or INN) still have a problem somewhere that cause zero-ed pages
 > to be inserted into active, generally after processing a control message
 > like "newgroup".

 This seems to be the case for 2.2-STABLE as well. In the company
 I noticed this as well weeks ago, but didn't complain loudly,
 I had a workaround using actsync.

 As long as the real bug isn't fixed (I don't know if in the
 FreeBSD kernel area or within inn) MMAP should be disabled.

 Does the port maintainer agree ?

 	Andreas ///

 --
 Andreas Klemm | klemm.gtn.com - powered by
                     Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD