Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 1997 17:41:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        jzeitlin@ascend.com (Jim Zeitlin)
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie query

> Greetings,
>
>         Pardon the use of ( possibly ) excessive list bandwidth but I have
> some newbie questions.
>
>         I am exploring some communications server development work and was
> looking into using the Intel PR440FX dual Pentium Pro motherboard.  Do
> systems built around this board generally run both the FreeBSD uni-processor
> release and the current FreeBSD SMP release ? ( Not at the same time ! ) Are
> there working drivers for this boards integrated SCSI and 10/100BaseT
> ethernet controllers for these kernels ?  The marketing literature describes
> the SCSI controller "Adaptec 2940UW (7880) SCSI Controller" and the ethernet
> as an "Ether Express".

I haven't checked the latest -current on that machine, but it does/has worked.
use 'ahc0' for the SCSI, and fxp0 for the ethernet.  I am currently running
that machine with SMP-current as of a week or so ago.  There is a bit of a
trick that you need to select APIC interrupts or somesuch in the bios.

John