Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 01:59:04 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mt

As Ollivier Robert wrote:

> The support for controlling of the compression for DATs is
> experimental. It seem to work with my HP C1533A but may not work with
> other drives.
>
> Is there any chances to have some of these merged in our mt (especially the
> last part about the DAT) ?

The code is almost there in the scsi subsystem.  Well, mt(1) is really
not the problem.  Once the kernel support is there, adding the
functionality for compression is about 5 lines (or even less).

> BTW, I've tried to edit the compression field of the 0x10 page with scsi(8)
> and the patch Jörg  posted for scsi_modes (it  hasn't been put in current I
> think) but this field was not available...

This basically means your drive doesn't support it.  My HP DAT at work
lets me edit the field, but any attempt to save the mode page (even
unmodified) results in a parameter list length error. :-(  I'm stomped
without a SCSI reference manual for the drive, but yet failed to find
one.

--
cheers, J"org