Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 21:10:17 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>
To:        Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr" <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
Subject:   RE: PPP -bacground redials after timeout

On 16-Oct-98 Steve Friedrich wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Oct 98 14:34:01 +0200, Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr wrote:
>
>>check out processes which **LOVE** to stay connected to the Internet (eg
>>sendmail which likes to resolve your numeric IP address)
>
> Setup a local DNS to prevent this, it's easy with FreeBSD...
> Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.

Thanks for the feedback and I have plans to setup a local DNS. However
what I am looking for is WHY ppp dialed. Notice I am not using ppp in auto
mode. I am using it background mode.

>From what I understand of the man page, and please correct me if wrong,
background mode becomes a daemon if it connects. It doesn't mention
anything about re-dialing if connection is dropped. I understand  auto is
supposed connect every time there is a packet. Does background has this
behavior too?

For instance if I use pppctl and do a "close" on ppp. It not only drops
the connection, but terminates ppp also.

----
francisco@natserv.com
The power to serve.   http://www.freebsd.org