Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 15:04:34 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew <acs@fl.net.au>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: User PPP and Internal PCI Modem

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Jim Freeze wrote:

> I have a PCI modem in a PCI port.

Its not a winmodem is it? Most internal modems seem to be these days...

> The problem is, where does the modem show up, or, how
> do I find it.

If you type dmesg you should see it being detected...probably as sio2 or
sio3.

> When I try cuaa2 or cuaa3 I get an error...something about invalid file
> descriptor.

These serail ports are probably disabled in your kernel. You should be
able to use the kernel configuration editor to reenable these or you may
have to rebuild your kernel and remove the disable keywords from in fron
of sio2 and sio3. To get to the kernel configuration tool, when you boot
you should get a message about pressing enter to boot immeadiatly or any
other key for (something I forget). Press any other key then type boot -c.

When you get the config prompt you probably want to type visual.

Andrew