Date:      Fri, 06 Apr 2001 15:45:43 -0500
From:      "Matthew Rezny" <mrezny@umr.edu>
To:        "alpha@freebsd.org" <alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Intel gigabit adapters

I got a few responses to the message I posted last night. In one it was
suggested I use int32_t and uint32_t instead of int and unsigned int. I made
this change and built te wx driver as a module. Also, I talked to the author of
the gx driver (a binary-only alternative to the wx driver) and got that as a
kernel module compiled for Alpha. Now I have consistent results with both
modules (though average ping time with wx is about half that of gx). With both I
now get just 8% packet loss, so I'm getting closer. However, the box connected
still gets flooded with spurious interrupts, enough to take about 70% of the
CPU. This occurs even without either of the modules loaded yet, so it would
appear the card is not getting configured properly.

Here are the load messages for each of the modules:
wx0: <Intel GigaBit Ethernet (WISEMAN)> mem 0x82a00000-0x82a1ffff irq19 at
device 6.0 on pci2
wx0: interrupting at CIA irq 19
wx0: Ethernet address 00:08:c7:16:78:09

and
FreeBSD Intel GigE driver Copyright (c) 1999,2000,2001 Jonathan Lemon.
gx0: <Intel Gigabit Ethernet v1> mem 0x82a00000-0x82a1ffff irq 19 at device 6.0
on pci2
gx0: interrupting at CIA irq 19
gx0: Ethernet address 00:08:c7:16:78:09