Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 22:40:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch to test kstack usage.

:
:Matt Dillon wrote:
:>     This isn't perfect but it should be a good start in regards to
:>     testing kstack use.  This patch is against -stable.  It reports
:>     kernel stack use on process exit and will generate a 'Kernel stack
:>     underflow' message if it detects an underflow.  It doesn't panic,
:>     so for a fun time you can leave UPAGES at 2 and watch in horror.
:
:It is checking against the wrong guard value. It should be u_guard2.
:
:FWIW; the max stack available is 4688 bytes on a standard 4.x system. Yes,
:that is too freaking close.  Also, the maximum usage depends on what sort
:of cards you have in the system.. If you have a heavy tty user (eg: a 32+

    I looked at it fairly carefully.  It has got to be u_guard... at the
    end of struct user, at least until you do that MFC.  The ptrace code
    appears to mess around with u_kproc quite a bit.  And when you rip out
    u_kproc it still needs to be at the end, after the coredump structure
    (though for i386 the coredump structure is empty)... because interrupts
    can occur during a core dump.

:port serial card) then you have lots of tty interrupts nesting as well.
:Having the ppp/sl/plip drivers in the system partly negates the effect of
:this though since it wires the net/tty interrupt masks together.
:...
:Cheers,
:-Peter
:--
:Peter Wemm - peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; peter@netplex.com.au
:"All of this is for nothing if we don't go to the stars" - JMS/B5
:

    Yah... the test I ran was just a couple of seconds worth of playing
    around over ssh.  I expect the worst case to be a whole lot worse.

    We're going to have to bump up UPAGES to 3 in 4.x, there's no question
    about it.  I'm going to do it tonight.

					-Matt