Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 10:02:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Don Mockaitis <a0014741@airmail.net>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

In the future, please use questions@freebsd.org for FreeBSD
questions/info.  Thanks!

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Don Mockaitis wrote:

> I'm trying to learn the UNIX operating system on my computer. Can it be
> installed other than in the startup directory in order that Win 95
> remains my main operating system?

Absolutely, assuming you have sufficient space to create a new partition.

> Is the command language similiar to Basic? UNIX.

The command language is similar to UNIX. :)  The shell commands are pretty
unique, there are some faint throwbacks to DOS but that's it.  If you're
not familiar with shell syntax then I suggest either purchasing a book or
looking at http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/newuser/ for a introduction.

> By the way how do you guys make any money?

For all intents and purposes, FreeBSD is a non-profit venture.  Walnut
Creek CDROM sells CDs of the distribution, and money from that funds
development and network connectivity.