Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 21:14:28 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.3beta status report

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 02:21:21PM -0500, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Wilko Bulte writes:
>  > On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 11:47:35AM -0500, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
>  > >
>  > > wkb@freebie.demon.nl writes:
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Both machines have the same weird spurious console junk I reported
>  > >  > earlier for Multia.
>  > >
>  > > What do their /etc/ttys look like?
>  >
>  > Default install, no manual changes. This means a getty on /dev/console.
>
> I thought David was going to change this.

On the 20010319BETA I have:

# If console is marked "insecure", then init will ask for the root password
# when going to single-user mode.
#
console "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
# Virtual terminals
ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv4   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv5   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv6   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv7   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
# Serial terminals
# The 'dialup' keyword identifies dialin lines to login, fingerd etc.
ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure

Maybe it has been changed in the meantime?

>  > > Try removing the getty on /dev/console and running the getty
>  > > on the real console device /dev/ttyd0 (serial) or /dev/ttyv0
>  > > (graphics).
>  >
>  > Does not appear to make a difference as far as I can see.
>
> It seems to for everybody else.   Did you HUP init?

I HUPed yep. But I will retry on my home-Miata as I could only very briefly
test it at work on the DS20. Stay tuned.

W/