Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2017 12:56:47 +0200
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>, Frank Leonhardt <freebsd-doc@fjl.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fun with HAST and inter-host connections

On 09/02/17 18:21, Ian Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 02:10:51 +1000, Ian Smith wrote:
>   > In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 691, Issue 4, Message: 10
>   > On Wed, 30 Aug 2017 22:40:03 +0100 Frank Leonhardt<freebsd-doc@fjl.co.uk>  wrote:
>
>   > Been following this thread with idle curiousity through all the options.
>   >
>   > It's all out of my experience, but if anyone knows what's what with USB
>   > 3.1 and whether crazy or not, it'd be Hans Petter (cc'd / dobbed in:)

Hi,

 From what I know the USB XHCI 3.1 is backwards compatible with the
existing XHCI driver. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Unfortunately XHCI is host only so you'll need some kind of middle
device if you want to connect to XHCI controllers together. Non of the
existing USB ethernet drivers are full optimised for FreeBSD's network
and USB stack and all network traffic is copied at least once. It would
be interesting to offload mbufs directly into USB w/o this additional
copying.

--HPS