Date:      Mon, 02 Nov 1998 00:14:08 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Brian Feldman <green@zone.syracuse.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux clone()

> Okay, guys, I think I've gotten a linux clone() syscall implemented... As

Neat.  Wrong list perhaps though.  (-emulation)

> of now, I have nothing to test it with :( The only thing I have to try it
> with is MpegTV, and for some really crazy reason:
> linux_clone()->(1569, 1570); child eip=0xf00, esp=0x80ed0b4
> Now come on, passing 0xf00 as the void *fn (really int (*fn)(void *)) is
> pretty damned bogus (but hey, it's not zero, so it turns into the child's
> instruction pointer...) If anyone has any REALY examples of programs to
> test with this, let me know....

First off; what do you get if you trace it on a Linux system?  Are you
sure the args are formatted correctly?

> This is a pretty important thing to have,
> when lots more apps use linuxthreads (i.e. StarOffice 5.0).

No kidding.

> Oh, BTW,
> someone tell me if this would be something really terrible to accidentally
> do in kernel space:
> printf("%d %d %#x %#x");
> note no arguments... so far I don't notice any destabilization but I sure
> hope I didn't fudge up the kernel stack!

Nope; that's generally harmless, just prints lots of garbage.

As for test apps; someone ought to be able to build you a trivial
clone() test program on a Linux system.