Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 23:16:21 +0100
From:      Thomas Moestl <tmoestl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PATCH REVIEW Re: bug in bridging/dummynet code - PR kern/19551

>   	Thomas, I have looked at and reviewed your patch, and have added one
>   hunk to bridge.c, please take a look at the "almost ready for commit"
>   version here:
>   http://people.FreeBSD.org/~bmilekic/dumbridge.diff
Oops, yes, I have missed that one. Luckily, it "shouldn't happen".

>   	Basically, I don't like the fact that we have to copy the ethernet
>   header back into the mbuf for dummynet in bdg_forward(), especially since
>   we just removed it before calling bdg_forward(). But, this is no fault of
>   yours and since dummynet does expect it, I agree with the present fix.
I agree to you that this prepending and removing is not nice. A way to solve
this would of course be to change bdg_forward so that it does not get the
ethernet header separately. This would however require that the header be
prepended in ether_input. That that might slow down the most common case
of bridging (forwarding a packet from another host to another interface,
not using dummynet), because in this case the header is prepended to a copy
in bdg_forward. Anyway, that change would be to large for a bugfix that
can be merged relatively soon, I think ;-)

>   	I'd like to ask net@ and Luigi to also review this before I commit
>   it, and I'd like to ask Marko Cuk (and others?) to test it and confirm
>   once again that it indeed fixes their problems, just so I can close all
>   the PRs along with it.
OK.

	- Thomas