Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 1997 18:07:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Are We Losing Interrupts?

Hi Y'll,

I noticed a problem for about 2-3 weeks now;

At times, after the fsck -p in /etc/rc, the system simply stops.  The
symptoms, on the DPT driver are that the card delivers an interrupt but the
driver never sees it.

Dropping into the kernel debugger reveals nothing.  The system is in
default idle.

The situation can be improved by power-cycling the machines.

It happens on the same machine, with the same driver, that older kernels
(last I have for sure is from 24-Aug but the problem is newer than than)
have absolutely no problem with.  It was verified on enough hardware of
sufficient veriety to exclude hardware from the equation.

The reason I suspect interrupt delivery is that I can monitor, via LEDs on
the DPT that the interrupt was delivered, but the interrupt routine does
not get called.

Normally we observe a flurry of disk activity, and network activity
immediately after fsck -p is done.  This is exactly where it stops.  Is
this a hint?

How do I research it some more?  (not the obvious, this I have done :-)

---

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                                 Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net                                  Voice:   503.799.2313