Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 13:55:20 -0500
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Bill Woods <bwoods2@uswest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world dies

Bill Woods wrote:

> mkdir -p /tmp/install.55896
> for prog in [ awk cat chflags chmod chown date echo egrep find grep
> install ln make makewhatis mtree mv perl rm sed sh sysctl  test true uname
> wc zic; do  cp `which $prog` /tmp/install.55896;  done
> usage: cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-f | -i] [-pv] src target
>        cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-f | -i] [-pv] src1 ... srcN directory
> *** Error code 64
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1

My guess is that you don't have perl installed.

about Perl:

The fact that perl is copied, means that we need it during install. If
perl is not already on the system, we have a bootstrapping problem. I'll
take a look at it and see if I can have perl use the miniperl that's
built as a crosstool and not depend on any perl versions that may or may
not be present on the system. Hopefully we don't really depend on perl
anymore and we can just remove it...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org