Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 2002 09:44:37 +0200
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        esperti@gufi.org
Subject:   RAV and paths & hier

Hi, I have installed the last RAV antivirus for FreeBSD.
The old version rightly install in the /usr/local/rav8 . The new one
pretend to install in /opt/rav /etc/rav and so on ...

I wrote them an email:

>>Hi,
>>I downloaded the latest RAV for sendmail milter and I see that the paths
>>for the files are completly wrong for a BSD sistem.
>>
>>It want to install in opt/rav (wrongly).
>>Perhaps it is right for a linux distributions, but not for a FreeBSD one,
>>where the installed package different from the base system have to live
>>in /usr/local .
>>The previous version was right ...
>>
>>Please fix it asap please ...

And they answer:

>Dear Sir,
>
>The new locations for RAV were made conforming to the new FHS 2.2
>(Filesystem Hierarchy Standard)
>http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/
>Anyway, the product was released and we cannot change now this.
>

>Best Regards,
>Alin Dobre.
>--
>Alin Dobre
>Linux Technical Support Engineer - GeCAD The Software Company

(this last line can explain a lot of thing :-)

I am replying:

>Dear sir, please make a version with the old pathname too...
>In the FreeBSD hier this path is not existent and with the kernel security
>modified it should also create problem.
>All the port go and should go in /usr/local. STOP
>If you have a FreeBSD box right you please type man hier and check if this
>layout is suitable with a FreeBSD system. If you don't have one near you,
>you can check also:
>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=hier&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+4.6-stable&format=html
>
>And see if the /opt dir is there...
>Having then local config in /etc tree is a nightmare ...

Is a right thing to insist on old layout or it can be accepted the new
(ugly) one ?

Thanks for attention...

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.gufi.org/~gmarco