Date:      Sun, 03 Sep 2000 16:23:22 -0400
From:      Jeff Evarts <riventree@earthlink.net>
To:        lidl@pix.net
Subject:   What level of bug is worth reporting?

Hello,

This is really a question about what-level-of-bug-is-worth-reporting.

This is what I found:

IF ( Obscure-Service-X is turned on in Open/Free/Net-BSD ) [Haven't checked BSD/OS]
THEN
	Any local user can set the access time of any file to the current time

	Any local user can set the mode of any tty device to rw------,
		whether it's in use or not
ENDIF

Both of these seem like potential DOS problems to me, though I cannot
think of any way to exploit them to become root or anything, and the
code in question has worked the way it does for over 2 years.

Is a "problem" like this worth reporting, or does it just make you
look like a nitpicker?

-Jeff Evarts
--riventree@earthlink.net
---http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~amarth/